optimizing ENTI-Key-Layout

admin
Site Admin

optimizing ENTI-Key-Layout

Unread post by admin »

i wonder if it is possible to optimize the layout with a software like
http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/

fixed would be the following:
- e,n,t and i are fixed to the qwerty letters j,k,l and ö (right of l)
- e.n.t and i should be on the left side too, and in easy-to-reach positions: 3,4,w,e,r,t,a,s,d,f,g,x,c and v

the other keys, freed on the right side should be optimized for PHP (or pearl)

admin
Site Admin

Re: optimizing ENTI-Key-Layout

Unread post by admin »

i asked at carpalx and got this answer
Hi Ruben,

It sounds like carpalx can evaluate the layout and suggest changes. If you have certain keys in multiple locations (e,n,t,i), then carpalx would need to be adjusted to deal with this case. Currently, it expects that there is a 1-to-1 mapping between character and location. It is interesting to add additional copies of the same key to the layout - I have not thought of that. carpalx could then evaluate the layout based on using the best location for the letter, given the context. That begs the question - how would the typist evaluate, on the fly, which copy of the character to type?

Martin

there are two possibilities:
- the typist is using only one hand - only the left keys are used
- with both hands, only the right copies are used

frankvl

Unread post by frankvl »

In my initial learning experience, I sometimes use the left variant and sometimes the right; whichever I recognize first in my thoughts.

David Cary

Unread post by David Cary »

Putting multiple copies of common letters is an interesting idea.

I would like to see a keyboard with a "th" key -- the most-common pair in English.

What is so special about the letters "e n t i" ?
According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency
the most common letters (in order of frequency) in English are etaoin shrdlcu.

So yes, "e n t i" are 4 of the top-6 letters in English -- but why not duplicate "a" and "o" instead of "i" and "n" ?

(Is it because the most common letters (in order of frequency) in German are enisra tdhulcg ?)

admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

Anonymous wrote: why not duplicate "a" and "o" instead of "i" and "n" ?

a, d and s are already in a perfect place in the middle row at the qwert-layout, so they stay there.

admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

to get a layout, that is fast to type with both hands and still have the maximum possible speed with only the left hand it was important to optimize several aspects:

1. all most frequent letters have to be in the middle row of the keyboard
  2. diptongues like 'th', 'en', 'or',... have to be typed by keys on different fingers (best: on differend hands)
  3. only 4 letters are on the right side and they have to sum up to nearly 50% of all letters
  4. the letters from the right side have to be repeated on the left at good (but not the best) positions